There are many disadvantages of becoming a consultant. These include:
- It can feel lonely moving from inside the team to outside by yourself.
- You can feel adrift moving from directed to self-directed work.
- You can feel vulnerable leaving the protection of your employer’s brand and reputation.
- It’s scary if you hate selling yourself and you only have yourself to sell.
- It’s risky knowing your reputation is only as good as your last gig.
- It can take time to become established. The longer this takes, the longer you are unpaid and the more self-doubt accumulates.
- You need time to sort your ideas, establish your business direction and its profile, marketing, products, systems, technology and processes.
- It takes time before clients feel they can trust a new consultant. You need to achieve all this before your resources run out.
- You need to find paying customers and earn their trust.
- You need to stand out from the thousands of almost invisible independent consultants.
Want to overcome these disadvantages? Check out GoConsult.nz – The Jungle Pathfinder for New Consultants